The Certificates in Catechesis (Level I) includes six courses each, of approximately 25 hours over a five-week period. Each course requires that you complete readings and assignments, and participate in online discussions.
The Church’s mission is to hand on our Catholic faith to others. Every baptized person shares in this responsibility in some way. However, parents and grandparents, adults who volunteer in parishes, and people formally tasked with teaching the faith to others, are called to equip themselves more thoroughly for this mission.
This program will help lead participants to appreciate even more the treasure of our Catholic faith and the wisdom of the Church. It will equip them to participate in handing on Christ in his Church to others. Participants will explore our faith through the study of Scripture, Jesus as teacher, liturgy, initiatory and catechumenal catechesis, and forming adults in faith.
- Those who wish to pass on faith to others but are unsure how to go about it
- Those who have been asked to help out in a parish with preparation for one of the sacraments, or with RCIA
- Parents who wish to be able to share faith with their children more easily
- Those who wish to learn more about our faith to be able to speak with others about it at work, at home, or in the parish
- Others whose ministry would be enriched by formal certification in this field.
Certificate in Catechesis I (CATI)
Prerequisite - Foundations in Faith I (FFI)
CCS-008 The New Testament
CCS-009 The Old Testament
CCS-010 Moral Theology
CCS-031 Echoes - Parish-Based Training for Handing on Faith
CCS-032 Catechesis - Human Development & Growth
CCS-033 The Practice of Catechesis
To complete this certificate in the 2016-17 year students must register for the courses in the following order.
(This does not apply to those who take more than one course per cycle and Certificates are not required to be completed within a year.)
Cycle 1 - CCS-009
Cycle 2 - CCS-008
Cycle 3 - CCS-031
Cycle 4 - CCS-010
Cycle 5 - CCS-032
Cycle 6 - CCS-033
Certificate in Catechesis II (CATII)
Prerequisite - Certificate in Catechesis I (CATI)
CCS-007 On Good Soil
CCS-015 Social Justice
CCS-016 The Practice of Social Justice
CCS-022 Liturgical Practices
CCS-034 Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults