History

2016-2017

  • ATS Re-accreditation Self-Study and Visit

2014

  • Benedict XVI Institute for New Evangelization is founded to serve the New Evangelization by developing and offering innovative programs in faith formation and catechesis.

2010

  • Classes officially begin at the present site.

2009

  • NTC and St. Joseph Seminary move to temporary locations in Sherwood Park and Ottewell. The $15 million Cornerstone of Faith campaign starts for new construction. A $4.18 million grant is awarded from the federal government’s Knowledge Infrastructure Program to finance technology infrastructure. It represents the first government support the college has received in its history.

2007

  • The Province of Alberta purchases the land of NTC and St. Joseph Seminary in order to facilitate the completion of the Anthony Henday ring road.

2004

  • The NTC Academic Senate establishes the annual Kevin Carr Christian Leadership Award to recognize a lay person or lay persons whose outstanding Christian leadership reflects the mission and values of NTC and the qualities that Kevin Carr cherished and exhibited in his work as NTC’s seventh president (1993-2001).

2002

  • SJS celebrates its 75th anniversary with a three-day celebration, highlighted by an Apostolic Visitation from Rome.

2001

  • NTC celebrates the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman with special presentations about NTC's namesake.

1999

  • NTC/SJS celebrated the official opening of the new Sopchyshyn Family Library and the Sopchyshyn Seminary Residence.

1996-1997

  • ATS visitation and reaccreditation.

1993

  • NTC continues as a corporate body by an Act of Continuance of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.

1991-1992

  • ATS visitation and granting of accreditation.

1988

  • The ATS grants the status of candidacy to the NTC.

1970

  • Academic programs gradually develop. In 1972, associate status is granted to the NTC by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) in the United States & Canada.

1969

  • The theology faculty of SJS becomes Newman Theological College (NTC) by an Act of the Alberta Legislature. NTC is opened up to a larger number of lay people and religious.

1965

  • On his return from the Council Rome, Archbishop Anthony Jordan looks for ways of addressing the role of the laity in the Church. Men and women, both religious and lay, interested in theology are invited to share the facilities available in St. Albert.

1961

  • Approximately 100 students are studying for the priesthood at SJS.

1957

  • SJS moves to St. Albert where a new building is erected on vacant farmland owned by the Archdiocese.

1927

  • Oblate Fathers move to Saskatchewan; Archdiocese of Edmonton takes over the building and calls it St. Joseph Seminary (SJS); this becomes the formation center for the diocesan seminarians.

1917

  • First theological faculty is set up at the Oblate Immaculate Conception Scholasticate in St. Joachim’s Parish, Edmonton. Diocesan seminarians attend the scholasticate as well.